[CentOS] Internal RAID controllers question

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri May 6 21:26:31 UTC 2016

Dear Experts,

one of the RAID threads today prompted me ask everybody.

Which internal hardware RAID controllers will survive some future to come
in your estimate. First of all my beloved 3ware finally seems to have
passed away. After multiple acquisitions and becoming part of LSI and
getting bought with LSI, it probably became non operational. Namely, the
latest 3ware cards have ancient firmware. Neither of them supports 4kn
drives. This speaks for itself for me. [Under new ownership] LSI, though
still having new controllers released, and one of their MegaRAID
controllers (at least) having support for 4kn drives, still may not last
long (just my feeling, I'd like to hear yours). So, what RAID controllers
will those of us who like to have hardware RAIDs use in some future to
come?

Valeri

PS I didn't mention Areca (I only have 2 or 3 their cards in my boxes),
which seems to have firmware update that supports 4kn drives. Is Areca our
future hardware RAID hardware?

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago