[CentOS] OT: hardware: MegaCli and initializing a RAID

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri May 6 22:42:26 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-06, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Agree. But I would say the same about all command line interface utilities
> for all RAID brands I ever used. LSI likely is the worst.

The old Adaptec AAC/AFA syntax was also awful, I'd say just as bad as
LSI.  (I have suspected that LSI copied most of the AAC UI.)  3ware was
bad but not nearly as bad as the other two.  (Though as you pointed out
in another post, the 3ware line is basically dead.  My vendor said the
same thing.)

> I really-really prefer GUI like 3ware web interface.

I hated 3ware's web interface.  :)

I think I've seen posted here before that some folks like the Areca
controllers.  What's their CLI/GUI like?

I think the worst part about these interfaces is that there really is
no (at least that I've found) programming API to access them.  If there
were, we could write Python/Perl/Java/whatever code to interact with the
controller, instead of having to parse stdout of MegaCli64.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us