[CentOS] Internal RAID controllers question

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon May 9 00:55:04 UTC 2016

On 5/8/2016 5:31 PM, Digimer wrote:
> "Hardware RAID" can very well include a controller with dedicated parity
> processing, battery/flash backed write caching and other tangible benefits.

Yes, battery/flash write-back cache provides some performance benefit in
write intensive workloads.    but all that parity processing?  your
x86_64 server processor is far faster than the typical few 100Mhz
MIPS/ARM sort of CPU they embed on those controllers, and can easily
keep up in realtime, and I'd far rather have the OS native volume
manager open source managing the physical volumes than some black box
firmware.