[CentOS] Internal RAID controllers question

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:12:30 UTC 2016

On 05/08/2016 06:20 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> there are really only two choices today, Adaptec and Avago (formerly
> LSI, they also control the former Areca product line).

I don't believe that is correct.  LSI acquired 3ware, and Avago acquired
LSI.  So, Avago owns the 3ware and LSI technology, but Adaptec and Areca
are still competitors.

> Whoops, Avago is now Broadcom, a company I like even less for broken
> closed source firmware and total lack of hardware documentation.

If it makes you feel any better, Avago acquired Broadcom, not the other
way around.  I would expect Avago's culture to be the dominant one, and
watch for changes in Broadcom's firmware and documentation practices.