[CentOS] Internal RAID controllers question

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:03:36 UTC 2016

On 05/09/2016 11:46 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Yes, ZFS, and thanks a lot! For distributed file system "brick" boxes ZFS
> (btrfs,...) may be a must, but only if distributed filesystem doesn't have
> its own mechanism ensuring file integrity, right?

Ignore distributed filesystems for a moment.  Is there any application
for which want to allow your computer to silently corrupt your data?  My
email archive consists of messages in individual files (Maildir), and
I'd like to ensure that bits don't flip.  I'd like to ensure that bits
don't flip in my music files, creating noise during playback (one
corrupt sample could end up being pure noise played back at maximum volume).

Even for very basic, relatively unimportant purposes, I want my data in
a reliable filesystem.