[CentOS] Kernel version in CentOS 7 pxeboot images

Jeff White

jeff.white at wsu.edu
Mon May 9 23:47:03 UTC 2016

I have a number of machines which PXE boot using the images provided by
CentOS here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/images/pxeboot/

That gives the machines kernel 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64.  I would like to
move to a newer kernel as I'm seeing a serious I/O problem which I
suspect is a kernel bug.  I thought that would be as easy as grabbing
the files from here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.2.1511/os/x86_64/images/pxeboot/

... but that's not the case, those are the same exact files as the
earlier ones.  These machines always PXE boot, they have no OS installed
to their local disk.  Instead their root filesystem is on an NFS
server.  So this is not PXE+kickstart or other provisioning system, just
PXE then mount an NFS export for its root filesystem.

So, how would one go about creating a new vmlinuz and initrd.img the
same way that the ones shown above were built, except with a newer
kernel?  Also, what is upgrade.img?

--
Jeff White
HPC Systems Engineer