[CentOS] Upgrade path from CentOS 7 to future versions

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue May 10 07:19:32 UTC 2016

On 05/10/2016 02:08 AM, Venkateswara Rao Dokku wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know whether the valid upgrade path will be present from
> CentOS 7 to future versions like we get for Ubuntu or some other operating
> systems.
>
> Right now, I am sure that we do not have proper update path in CentOS to
> move from one version to another.

If you mean upgrade to all CentOS-7 point releases, yes (from source
code for RHEL-7.0 to RHEL-7.1, to RHEL-7.2).  If you mean from CentOS-7
to CentOS-8, there is no way to know.  There is no RHEL-8 to look at.

Red Hat has source code for preupgrade-assistant and
redhat-upgrade-tool.  That is created for inplace upgrades from one
major version to another.  Currently those tools are community and
maintained and they are several updates behind because currently no one
in the community has stepped up to maintain them.

But, CentOS-7 has an EOL of June 30, 2024 .. so there is security
updates for 8 more years.