[CentOS] Upgrade path from CentOS 7 to future versions

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue May 10 22:12:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 3:57 pm, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2016-05-10, Valeri Galtsev
> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Debian (and clones): you keep the components of the system pretty
>> much on the level of latest release of each of components. Therefore
>> "upgrade" to new release of the system is pretty close to just a
>> regular routine update.
>
> You are describing Debian sid/unstable, which is contunuously updated,
> and where there are no releases in the usual sense of the word. Debian
> stable releases are a different matter, and correspond very closely to
> major releases of RHEL/CentOS. There is always an upgrade path between
> consecutive releases of Debian stable.

Yes, LTS, thanks Liam. Only LTS has life cycle of mere 2 years, whereas
RHEL (hence CentOS) is what, 10 years? I was pretty sure Debian does not
backport patches (of Linuxes no one except RH, as far as I know). How do
they do it with LTS? Do they just freeze major version, no matter what (it
is only 2 years the need)?

Thanks.
Valeri

> Liam