[CentOS] OT: Linksys router misbehaviour

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Wed May 11 10:05:11 UTC 2016

I'm running a Linksys WRT54GL router from my CentOS-7 home server.
Every now and then (maybe once every 2 days) the router's WiFi cuts out,
and I've found no way to solve this except to disconnect the power
from the router, wait 10 seconds and then re-connect.
This always works.
The router is running under dd-wrt.

My question is - which makes it a tiny bit CentOS-related -
does anyone with such a router know of a way
to wake the router up in such a case through the computer?

I wouldn't have dared to ask this question here or anywhere
until recently, as I assumed my ancient Linksys routers were obsolete.
But I've been reading posts recently saying that
there hasn't really been a Linux router to replace the WRT54GL,
and in particular Linksys's recent 11n replacement
is not as good as the old model in many ways.

Anyway, if anyone has an answer to my query I would be very grateful.

I have a couple of IP cameras working by WiFi on the computer,
which I can look at remotely.
I've connected one by TP-Link through the router,
and this doesn't cut out, but it is not wholly satisfactory.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net