[CentOS] Black screen after install / Centos 7.2

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon May 16 14:45:45 UTC 2016

Earl A Ramirez wrote:
> On 16 May 2016 12:13, "Oliver Zemann" <oliver.zemann at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, i just installed CentOS 7.2 on my little "server" but i get a black
> screen during boot. It is a Asrock Am1h-itx mainboard with an AMD 5350 CPU
> (onboard graphic).
>> I created a raid 6 but i dont think thats the problem, as the boot
> process goes pretty far. I would even say its going until X should start,
> but it is a server install, so i guess there is no X.
>> Can someone tell me what could i do to get more information? Is there
> some kind of nomodeset param available for the grub cmd line param which i
> could try?
>>
> Yes you can use nomodeset, are you able to boot with the diagnostic kernel
> which has minimum display requirement?

I'd also suggest several things:

1. If it's a server, why do you need X?
2. If you do, then I'd start out by having it come up in runlevel 3, *not* 5,
     and then as root I'd run startx, and see what error messages there are.
     Doing this gives you a much more controlled environment in which to
     debug the X issues.
3. One final thought: what do you get when you do yum grouplist - what
     X or Desktop groups are installed?

        mark