[CentOS] Systemd and VirtualBox

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Tue May 17 10:49:04 UTC 2016

On 17/05/16 22:38, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 17 May 2016 at 09:11, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/05/16 19:58, John Hodrien wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 17 May 2016, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>>
>>> No idea where to from here, so if there is anyone that has a working
>>>>
>>> I deliberately bailed on VirtualBox when we moved to C7, as KVM offered
>>> everything I needed with less hassle.
>>>
>>> I take it you've considered switching?
>>>
>>> Considered, very briefly. I have had great success and stability with
>> running VirtualBox on both CentOS 5 & 6 for the few Windoze apps that my
>> clients need to run and have up on a server 24x7. The set ups I am using
>> have been running reliably for over 8 years and remote manged with zero
>> issues - HUGE thanks to the CentOS team for an awesome OS system delivery
>> Thus, I have simply installed the latest VirtualBox on CentOS 7 and gone
>> from there. I was aware that systemd existed and deliberately waited until
>> this year to upgrade the hardware and OS, thinking issues like this should
>> have been sorted by now.
>> Are there any good tutorial / howtos for KVM? Although at this point I am
>> back on another continent and reluctant to shift to KVM when over 20 hours
>> fly time away from the server.
>>

> Why would that be an issue? It's not Xen where you have to boot into a
> special kernel ... it's just the ordinary kernel. In fact I'd be surprised
> if you had to reboot at all, you should just have to install the
> virtualization group (along with virt-tools and virt-manager to make your
> life easier, dont' forget to install fonts if using virt-manager over X
> forward and wanting to avoid little boxes instead of characters) and be up
> and running.
thanks James. I have started working through the document you indicated
and will see how it goes. It may take a few days to sort out enough time.
BTW, will I be able to use the Windows10 image file that VirtualBox uses?
Is there a tool that changes the format of the vm image if its different?
Or am I faced with a new Windoze install and installing the Windoze Apps
all over again?
That may be an issue as the Windoze application is quite complex and the
last two times I have installed it, I had to use the app provider's help
line to solve Windoze 10 issues as the default install has some things
that need changing in order for their app to work.