[CentOS] ipmitool and CentOS 7

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue May 17 17:48:47 UTC 2016

Subject: ipmitool and CentOS 7
From:    m.roth at 5-cent.us
Date:    Mon, May 16, 2016 16:57
To:      "CentOS" <centos at centos.org>

On Dells running CentOS 6, we could use this command
ipmitool delloem lcd set mode userdefined "$(uname -n | sed -e 's/\..*//' )"
to set the little LCD screen to display the system name, In the latest
sevens, it fails, and gives me usage for the command... which displays
exactly that syntax.

Anyone have a clue?

Following myself up: it worked 100% of the time on CentOS 7 on dells. On
CentOS 7, the whole set of delloem appear to fail. For example, ipmitool
delloem lcd info produces "LCD info", rather than the service tag that it
comes from Dell displaying. All variants I try to set it produce a list of
usage options for ipmitool delloem lcd.

I'm starting to think that the delloem is broken; either it's ipmitool, or
A side note, for the person who suggested uname -s - that produces Linux.
-n produces the FQDN.

       mark