[CentOS] CentosPlus

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu May 19 14:30:10 UTC 2016

James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 07:39, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 4:32 AM, James Hogarth
>> <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:

> . . .
<snip>

>>> Doing this means you won't get notified of updates in that repo.
>>> This is not a good idea.
<snip>
> Having been bitten by this on several occasions I finally adopted the
> policy of using the -- includepkgs= -- option and specifically naming
> the packages that I want from a non-standard repo; and also using --
> exclude= -- in the standard repo naming exactly the same packages as
> those included elsewhere.  You can use globbing in the package names
> in both cases.
>
> It is a little more work to set up but it is a lot safer to my way of
> thinking, particularly where there are multiple sysadmins involved.

Agreed. This is what I do on the systems with NVidia cards, and I want
kmod-nvidia - I have include= in the /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo.

Then, to protect production systems from "update everywhere!!!", in
/etc/yum.conf, *just* on those systems, I'll have thinks like
exclude=httpd,kernel. When I have my maintenance window to really update,
I do a yum update --disableexcludes=all. Gives me a fine-grained control.

         mark