[CentOS] Hard drives being renamed

Leroy Tennison leroy at datavoiceint.com
Tue May 24 22:28:49 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "John R Pierce" <pierce at hogranch.com>
To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:04:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Hard drives being renamed

On 5/24/2016 2:08 PM, Pat Haley wrote:

> We are running Centos 6.7 - 2.6.32-573.22.1.el6.x86_64 on a Quanta
> Cirrascale, up to date with patches. We have had a couple of instances
> in which the hard drives have become renamed after reboot (e.g. drive
> sda is renamed to sdc after reboot).  One time this occurred when we
> rebooted following the installation of a 10GB NIC card, another time
> after we tried to install mellanox drivers
> (MLNX_OFED_LINUX-3.2-2.0.0.0-rhel6.7-x86_64). Currently we are unable
> to boot because that drive has been renamed.
>
> Our questions are
>
>  * Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
>  * What can we do to prevent such renaming in the future

don't use device names in your fstab, use labels, or use LVM, or whatever.

Use blkid to get the UUIDs then use UUID="..." in fstab.  Be aware that nothing is failsafe, changing filesystems on a partition will change the UUID and "dd ing" a partition to another drive but leaving it in the system without manually changing the UUID of one of the partitions will result in duplicate UUIDs and corresponding confusion - "been there, done that".