[CentOS] CentOS 6 spontaneous reboots

Anthony K akcentos at anroet.com
Mon May 30 03:20:21 UTC 2016

On 30/05/16 10:10, Bill Gee wrote:
> What else can I look at?

TL;DR

sar -m TEMP | less
(sar can be found in the sysstat package)

---

I have a Debian based media server that was exhibiting similar symptoms
after having served me well for more than 4 years.  During my
troubleshooting, I came across Brendan Gregg's website *[0]* via his
2-part Youtube video *[1]* on Linux Performance Tools**.

Suffice it to say that I was able to nail my problem by installing the
package 'sysstat' and enabling all performance counters. Within 2 days,
I identified the root cause - temperature spikes during media cataloging
which occurred on a periodic basis at 3am *_and_* whenever I added a
video to my library.  The following command was instrumental in
determining this:

sar -m TEMP | less

I was able to correlate the output of the command above with my Plex
logs.  Since I did not have time to open the system up and do the
thorough cleaning that was necessary, I wrote a script to monitor the
temperature and to throttle the CPU down if the temperature hit 85% of
max (the AMD CPU in the media server doesn't throttle internally).
After time availed itself, I cleaned the server innards and changed the
thermal paste which had dried up and wasn't performing optimally.

In any case, Brendan Gregg's website and Youtube video were (and still
are) very helpful.

My $0.02
ak.

*[0]*    http://www.brendangregg.com/index.html