[CentOS] CentosPlus

cpolish at surewest.net

Tue May 17 19:04:30 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-17 12:09, jd1008 wrote:
> Has anybody enabled this repo?
> I understand that it can really mess up updates and upgrades
> as the dependencies are rather different.

I've had the CentOSPlus repository enabled for CentOS6 for more
than a year with no problems. I don't recall reading anything on
this mailing list or IRC suggesting that enabling plus caused
issues with updates.

The CentOS wiki warns "Enabling this repository makes CentOS
different from upstream. You should understand the implications
of this prior to enabling CentOSPlus". Essentially this is a
reminder that the CentOS community has no appetite for supporting
slightly non-standard configurations (a very reasonable stance).

If you need the extra hardware driver modules available with
Plus this shouldn't stop you from running a Plus kernel.
Just be prepared to reproduce any problems using a stock
kernel (which you can still select at boot) if you need to
resolve an OS issue with help from others.

The only vhanged packages in the CentOS Plus 6 repo are the
kernel (kernel, kernel-abi-whitelist, kernel-doc,
kernel-firmware, kernel-headers, kernel-devel), the kernel
performance utilities (perf, python-perf), and postfix.

For detailed differences of the "Plus" kernel see:
https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus?action=show&redirect=Repositories%2FCentOSPlus#head-a94637ae716c01023f633e8b5fb840f555f6d378

HTH, HAND,
--
Charles