[CentOS] CentOS-6.5 - CD/DVD does not sense media

Mon May 9 17:34:06 UTC 2016
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I dealing with problem 1 - see previous message - I set about creating
a live DVD on my development system.  Now I find that I cannot seem to
mount a medium in that drive.  wodim --devices reports it as present
and so does cdrecode.  I can use the eject utility to toggle the tray
open and closed.  But when I load a blank dvd or cd in that unit I get
nothing on my desktop - in other words I am not getting an auto mount,
and I cannot do anything with dd to that dev either.

wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (1 found) :
 0  dev='/dev/scd0'	rwrw-- : 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVD-RAM GH22NS30'

cdrecord -inq
Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVD-RAM GH22NS30'
Revision       : '1.01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

But cdrecord says that their is no media present although I have
empirically determined that a blank dvd is in fact loaded into the
device:

cdrecord -load
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
limits.Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate
drive...
Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVD-RAM GH22NS30'
Revision       : '1.01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
RAW/R96R
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), test unit ready scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0

Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x01 (medium not present - tray closed) Fru 0x0

Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!

Any ideas as to what is happening here?