[CentOS] CenOS 6.8 and libGL failures

Tue May 31 11:09:18 UTC 2016
isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com>

Ever since I upgraded to CentOS 6.8, some software has stopped working alogether. This is related to OpenGL/mesa and can be demonstrated with glxgears:

$ glxgears
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  33
$

This appears to be a common problem, but I found no solutions that apply here since I believe everything is installed and set up correctly. It all worked with CentOS 6.x, x<8.

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56273
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/38116/issues-with-libgl-on-fedora-20-unable-to-load-driver-swrast/