[CentOS] Copying CentOS to new drive

Wed May 4 14:37:08 UTC 2016
Mike <1100100 at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 7:22 AM, wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Timothy,
>

> I personally would not copy FROM or TO running systems. Thus,
> proceeding to the copy from a third (liveCD or not) system sounds good
> to me.

Agreed.  It appears others have had success doing so; but, I prefer to
eliminate as many variables as possible.

I've done the following:

1. yum update Server 1.
2. complete a minimal CentOS install on Server 2. <<must be the same
version as Server 1>>
3. yum update Server 2.
4.Then boot both using LiveCD of choice.

<<no chroot necessary when using LiveCD environment>>

5. rsync --delete-after --force -aAHPWl
--exclude-from="/root/centos7-rsync-exclude.txt" / root at 10.10.10.200:/
<<----the host address of the server to receive the sync/copy.
((that's a lowercase "L" after "-aAHPW"))

6. the "centos7-rsync-exclude.txt" file contains:

boot
dev
etc/fstab
etc/grub2.cfg