[CentOS] yum update (first in a long time) - /var/log/dovecot no longer used

Fri May 6 08:36:26 UTC 2016
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Fri, 6 May 2016, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> What I didn't expect, and what really threw me was that this has been
> implemented via a simply 'yum update' of an existing system, not at a major
> release level.

journald has been there since you installed C7.

You appear to have seen a change in logging behaviour as a result of an
update.  Whether that's due to an update of dovecot, systemd, or something
else, I have no idea.

Something like RHEL is stuck in a trap here.  Either they never change a
default post-install (lots of rpmnew or deliberately not introducing new
behaviours), or they bring in defaults as you update (to some extent doing
things like rpmsave).  Some people would complain whichever option they chose.

jh