[CentOS] OT: hardware: MegaCli and initializing a RAID

Fri May 6 21:19:07 UTC 2016

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2016 1:36 pm, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Got a new box I'm trying to set up. I configured the RAID from the
>> firmware, but "fast initialize" was sitting there at 0% (it's about 43
>> or 45TB). The first time I tried this, I said background, and
>> rebooted the system.
>>
>> And the stupid annoying alarm started up as the system came up.
>>
>> This time, having *finally* figured out how to set up hot spares from
>> the WebBIOS, I suspended the fast initialization, and brought the
system up.
<snip>
> I agree with what John said about their command line interface MegaCli.
> One thing I have noticed about LSI MegaRaids is: if you hot replace bad

Trust me, I've been cursing that interface for years now.

> drive with good one of the same size or larger (which doesn't have on it
> traces of being configured in any raid, not necessarily LSI), then the
> drive is accepted as replacement member into the same volume group, and
> array gets rebuilt in background automagically. You may want to check
> first if it is on its way rebuilding already.

Yeah, I checked with parted, and saw the full size, so then I thought to
check the status of the RAID, and it said it was optimal, which I guess
means it finished the fast initialization. Partitioned it, built an XFS
filesystem, and it's mounted.

Has *ANYONE* at LSI/AVAGO *ever* had anyone other than the folks who wrote
the code (or maybe that was Dilbert, himself) try to *use* it?

        mark