[CentOS] Internal RAID controllers question

Mon May 9 16:37:33 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 9, 2016 11:12 am, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 05/08/2016 06:20 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> there are really only two choices today, Adaptec and Avago (formerly
>> LSI, they also control the former Areca product line).
>
> I don't believe that is correct.  LSI acquired 3ware, and Avago acquired
> LSI.  So, Avago owns the 3ware and LSI technology, but Adaptec and Areca
> are still competitors.
>
>> Whoops, Avago is now Broadcom, a company I like even less for broken
>> closed source firmware and total lack of hardware documentation.
>

> If it makes you feel any better, Avago acquired Broadcom, not the other
> way around.  I would expect Avago's culture to be the dominant one, and
> watch for changes in Broadcom's firmware and documentation practices.

Sounds good. I've heard good predictions about LSI (most notably by
Digimer and John, and now Gordon sounds really encouraging). How about
Areca? They seem to have support for 4kn drives, are they going to be
another option for us, hardware RAID people? Their creatures were pretty
good so far in my book...

<rant>
I do my best to stay away from those who ever released "fakeraid" chips
(or "software RAID"), the ones relying of "driver" (read: your system and
CPU processing RAID functions). Meaning here adaptec ;-(
If I were to do RAID without dedicated RAID card, just export me the
drives, and my system has all necessary for that.
</rant>

Thanks a lot for all your insights!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev