[CentOS] Upgrade path from CentOS 7 to future versions

Tue May 10 20:07:22 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 2:22 pm, Hakan Peker wrote:
> On 05/10/2016 06:44 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>> "Other systems" you mention I bet are Debian and its clones (Ubuntu
>> being
>> one of them). These systems have different update philosophy than that
>> of
>> RedHat Enterprise Linux (and hence what CentOS is, which is derived from
>> RHEL). Namely, these "other systems" do constant micro-upgrades of
>> components installed on the system to latest release, whenever new
>> release
>> of given piece of software happens. To the contrary, RHEL mostly
>> backports
>> important security fixes to a version that was included in original
>> system
>> release (but occasionally does make upgrades). Hence the differences:
>>
>> 1. Debian (and clones): you keep the components of the system pretty
>> much
>> on the level of latest release of each of components. Therefore
>> "upgrade"
>> to new release of the system is pretty close to just a regular routine
>> update. This apparent advantage comes with a disadvantage, namely: every
>> update has a potential to break something on your machine, as new
>> release
>> may have different internals, then you will need to work on migration to
>> them, and this can come as a surprise with any of routine updates.
>>

> This is so flat out wrong that I don't know where to begin, and this is
> not the place to give a lecture about Debian stable or Ubuntu LTS
> release process anyway.
>
> Not knowing something is perfectly normal and it is nothing to be
> ashamed of, spreading misinformation about a topic you have no knowledge
> of and doing it in a public list *and* when nobody asked you about it,
> on the other hand...

Smashing! ;-)

You can begin by describing what the differences are, or by making the
statement that there are no differences whatsoever. Both will be helpful
to everybody. Another option would be e-mail privately to list moderators
and suggest to moderate an idiot (yours truly), - whoever does more damage
than help does deserve to be moderated. Either of the above suggestions
will be more productive than this post IMHO.

Thanks.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator