[CentOS] Upgrade path from CentOS 7 to future versions

Wed May 11 08:05:26 UTC 2016
Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole at gmail.com>

On 2016-05-10, Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 3:57 pm, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2016-05-10, Valeri Galtsev
>> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Debian (and clones): you keep the components of the system pretty
>>> much on the level of latest release of each of components. Therefore
>>> "upgrade" to new release of the system is pretty close to just a
>>> regular routine update.
>>
>> You are describing Debian sid/unstable, which is contunuously
>> updated, and where there are no releases in the usual sense of the
>> word. Debian stable releases are a different matter, and correspond
>> very closely to major releases of RHEL/CentOS. There is always an
>> upgrade path between consecutive releases of Debian stable.
>>

> Yes, LTS, thanks Liam. Only LTS has life cycle of mere 2 years,
> whereas RHEL (hence CentOS) is what, 10 years? I was pretty sure
> Debian does not backport patches (of Linuxes no one except RH, as far
> as I know). How do they do it with LTS? Do they just freeze major
> version, no matter what (it is only 2 years the need)?

Others have complained that this is not the place for an extended
discussion on Debian, so I'll just direct you here:

	https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/

If you have any questions, I suggest you post them to debian-user. I am
subscribed to that list, and will be happy to resume the conversation
there.

--

Liam