[CentOS] Upgrade path from CentOS 7 to future versions

Wed May 11 16:30:28 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 11:10 am, Warren Young wrote:
> On May 11, 2016, at 9:38 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> Warren Young wrote:
>>> This isn’t just about RHEL vs Debian and
>>> derivatives of same.  Several major non-Linux OSes also manage to do
>>> automatic upgrades between major releases: Windows, OS X, FreeBSD...
>>
>> I was under the impression that all the releases of OS X were more like
>> what we call subreleases (6.6->6.7).
>
> You can’t transfer meaning between different version number systems.
> There is no global standard for the meaning of version numbers.  The only
> thing that matters is that there is internal consistency.
>
> (Which is why Windows version numbering is a joke.)

And there was a joke about them. When RedHat started pacing fast with
their CD version releases: 7.3 --> 8 --> 9 in very short time, someone
said: they try to catch up with others in major version number. And
someone else pointed: they cant: MS already has Windows 2000 ;-)

> OS X treats changes to the ‘x’ component of their OS X 10.x.y version
> numbering system about the same way as EL does in its x.y system.  The
> only difference is that major OS X versions have been coming out yearly in
> recent years, so that there is less cumulative difference between major
> versions than in CentOS major versions.  But there’s probably at least
> as much change every 3 major OS X versions, as you’d expect since CentOS
> major versions are also about 3 years apart.
>
> And, in fact, OS X will allow itself to be upgraded across major OS
> versions.  It doesn’t demand that you upgrade to each intermediate
> version separately.

MacOS 10 server (sorry about using Arabic number, I hate using Roman
numbers written with Latin letters, makes any search useless) breaks
things between 10.x versions consistently. They change the way
authentication is done, add, then drop Apache modules, and so on. No, I do
not run any of my servers under MacOS (FreeBSD is current choice,
hopefully for long time to come). But some of Professors I work for do it,
and I have to help them by doing dirty part that comes with it. So: nobody
is perfect (meaning MacOS 10 here ;-)

Valeri