[CentOS] Suggestions for Config Management Tool

Thu May 12 08:21:30 UTC 2016
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 12 May 2016 at 08:22, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator <
goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we see a growing need for a better Configuration management for our
> servers.
>
> Are there any known good resources for a comparison of e.g. Puppet,
> Chef, Ansible etc?
>
> What would you suggest and why? :)

Puppet is great for central control with automatic runs making systems
right and keeping them in line, it's not an orchestration tool though -
however it's commonly supplemented with something like rundeck and/or
mcollective to assist here.

Chef is great for a ruby house - you'll need to brush up on your ruby as
writing cookbooks is heavily tied to the language. Historically it was very
debian focused with issues like selinux problems. I believe these have been
generally resolved though.

Ansible is a great orchestration tool and excellent for going from base to
a configured system. It is less of a tool to keep things inline with a base
however with no central automated runs (ignoring Tower which is not FOSS
yet).

Ansible is also much simpler to get into given the tasks are just like
following through a script for defining how to make a system, as opposed to
learning an actual DSL like required for understanding puppet modules.

There's a growing pattern of using ansible for orchestration alongside
puppet for definitions as well (there's a specific ansible module to carry
out a puppet run).

I've not looked at salt at all personally.

Came across this article a while back:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2609482/data-center/data-center-review-puppet-vs-chef-vs-ansible-vs-salt.html