[CentOS] C6: Gparted "the kernel failed to re-read partition table"

Sat May 14 19:39:02 UTC 2016
Always Learning <centos at u68.u22.net>

On Sat, 2016-05-14 at 07:03 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> Firstly, if at all possible, you're better off doing it with disks
> unmounted, booting from a gparted live CD.
>
> Secondly, if that's not practical, that message is common when using, say
> fdisk. Sometimes, running partprobe afterwards will reflect the new
> partition scheme, other times, you may just have to reboot.

On C6, kernel 2.6.32-573.26.1.el6.x86_64, GParted did not succeed using

GParted 0.19.1
Libparted 2.1

On C5, kernel 2.6.18-410.el5, Gparted succeeds with some HDDs, but not
others, using

GParted 0.4.8
Libparted 1.8.1

Using a 'rescue' disk, Parted Magic 2013_02_28, I ran Gparted version
0.14.1
Libparted 3.1
on a Linux kernel of 3.7-9-pmagic. It created the partitions and
formatted them without problems.

Never had a gui partition creation problem when installing from C 6.5
minimum install disk

Have I found a bug in C6 ?

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.