[CentOS] enlarging partition and its filesystem

Wed May 18 22:50:23 UTC 2016
Ian Brown <ian.brown at htw.com.au>

Hi Fred,
That would depend on what the underlying device is using.
Do you know if you are using LVM or not?

Type `lvdisplay` at the console to display any logical volumes. If you are
using LVM, you should see one named something like 'VolGroup00_lv-root'
If this is the case, something like this should help, but I have listed out
the steps below for the TL;DR version:
https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ExpandLV

*pvcreate /dev/xvdb*    (xvdb is the Xen version, you may see sdb or some
other combination.)
*vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/xvdb*    (Where VolGroup00 is the Volume Group
you found before)
*lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/VolGroup00/lv-root*     (Or where ever the LVM
device is created. lvdisplay will show you this.)

Then simply:
*resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/lv-root*
to expand the filesystem on the new block device.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ian

On 19 May 2016 at 05:33, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I've got a VM at work running C6 on HyperV (no, its not my fault,
> that's what the company uses. I'd rather gag myself than own one
> of th ose things.)
>
> I ran out of disk space in the VM, so the admin enlarged the virtual disk.
> but now I realize I don't know how to enlarge the partition and its
> filesystem.
>
> I'll be googling, but in case I miss it, it'd be great if someone could
> point me in the right direction.
>
> thanks!
>
> Fred
>
> --

>     Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as
>     the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward chain
>     letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers
>     of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online
>     community.
>  --Roger Ebert, December, 1996

Please consider the impact on the environment before you print this email

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are strictly
private and confidential. This e-mail should only be read by the intended
addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, you are strictly
prohibited from using, reproducing, disclosing, or distributing the
information contained herein and any attached files and/or documents.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender
and not the views of Herron Todd White. Before opening or using any files
and/or attachments, we recommend you run your own virus protection, as
although we will not knowingly transmit a virus, Herron Todd White accepts
no liability for virus transmission. Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation. The scheme does not apply within
Tasmania.