[CentOS] enlarging partition and its filesystem

Wed May 18 23:54:36 UTC 2016
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 09:23:16AM +1000, Anthony K wrote:
> On 19/05/16 05:33, Fred Smith wrote:
> >I'll be googling, but in case I miss it, it'd be great if someone could
> >point me in the right direction.
> >
> >thanks!
> >
> >Fred
> >
> You'll need to use an external tool (such as gparted) to extend the
> partition to use up the new extent, then follow what Ian Brown
> suggested.

I've used gparted live cd a number of times, but don't think I knew
that it handled lvm2 also. Since it does, if I resize the lvm,
wouldn't the contained filesystem be automatically resized too?
(as it has been when I've resized physical partitions containing
NTFS and EXT2/3/4 filesystems.)

> Had the admin simply added a new drive, then you'd follow what Ian
> Brown recommended without having the need to use an external tool.

yeah, in hindsight (which is always 20-20) it would have been easier.

A problem I have is that I have no admin access to the HyperV server,
at all, AFAIK I cannot even boot up a live CD in that VM without
getting admin help. I'd certainly want to do this resizing when the
system in that VM is not running on the LVM I'm resizing, so I'll
have to see if I can get the admin to boot up the gparted live cd
for me.

thanks to both you and Ian!

Fred
                         While we were still sinners,