[CentOS] Fail to load kernel module ipmi_si on CentOS-6

Wed May 25 14:05:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 07:34:05PM +0800, Frank Yu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to load kernel module ipmi_si, while failed with error "No such
> device", truth is I can find file in
> ../kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko. So why I  can't load it?
> [...]
> # modprobe ipmi_si
> FATAL: Error inserting ipmi_si
> (/lib/modules/2.6.32-573.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko):
> No such device
> [...]
> ​What should I do if I want to setup IPMI on my centos host?

The 'No such device' error is occurring because you are trying to load
the module, and 'modprobe' is finding the kernel module, but when it
loads, the kernel module is unable to discover the hardware, so it
fails.  Look at the output of 'dmesg' to see if there's any output
related to loading the module.  ipmi_si has several parameters you can
specify which can increase debugging.

It looks to me like your hardware doesn't have a BMC that supports
IPMI.  Have you verified that the hardware you bought has one?  Can
you get into the BIOS and set it up that way?