[CentOS] dnf replacing yum?

Wed May 25 19:38:43 UTC 2016
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

I saw mention of dnf in a blog article about installing a package on
CentOS. Further investigation revealed that Fedora is replacing yum with
dnf, apparently a new and better yum. But it wasn't clear if dnf was a
drop-in replacement or if some migration setup was required. Is it supposed
to work with CentOS or do we ignore it until some future release?

<https://www.linux.com/learn/what-you-need-know-about-fedoras-switch-yum-dnf>

I installed dnf with yum and tried installing another package with it and
it complains:

[root at orifice ~]# dnf install certbot
Failed to open:
/var/cache/dnf/x86_64/7/x86_64/7/epel/repodata/b3221500eaedf45b7ec0737a410cde7e3f09b49070c729449938b961ccbdf397-updateinfo.xml.bz2.

I don't install new packages often, but it does sound like dnf's new dep
solver is a Good Thing when that's needed.