[CentOS] CenOS 6.8 and libGL failures

Tue May 31 16:17:44 UTC 2016
Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane <todd.denniston at navy.mil>

Curiously my intel 845-G has had gl applications (freecad and wine based windows games) STARTED working correctly with this update.

I see in a latter email that you have a) found a path issue for users vs root, and b) you are using nvidia.
This reminded me of an issue I was having with some GL code I use (jogamp based) and nvidia drivers a little over a month ago, this might be something else you want to be aware of.

Nvidia is in the process of making a Vendor-Neutral GL[0], which I think is probably a good thing, but they have found that "several  applications relied on behaviors or attributes of the NVIDIA OpenGL driver that fall outside of the Linux OpenGL ABI"[1]. Once I figured out it was kmod-nvidia related, this[2] post helped me figure out the mapping to the other links.
for now I have had to stick our nvidia machines at 352.79 until either we get our app working with the  GLVND API, or elrepo packages a non-GLVND config[1].

[0] https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd
[1] https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/915640/unix-graphics-announcements-and-news/multiple-glx-client-libraries-in-the-nvidia-linux-driver-installer-package/

[2] https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57047

Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify the terms of any contract.

From: isdtor [isdtor at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:09 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: [CentOS] CenOS 6.8 and libGL failures

Ever since I upgraded to CentOS 6.8, some software has stopped working alogether. This is related to OpenGL/mesa and can be demonstrated with glxgears:

$ glxgears
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  33
  Current serial number in output stream:  35

This appears to be a common problem, but I found no solutions that apply here since I believe everything is installed and set up correctly. It all worked with CentOS 6.x, x<8.