[CentOS] Thunderbird vs. Evolution vs. OwnCloud

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Thu Nov 3 09:02:39 UTC 2016

On 11/02/2016 10:58 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Thunderbird synced to OwnCloud on my main
> workstation running Slackware64 14.1. I just installed CentOS 7 on my
> Asus S300 laptop. It's running nicely, and I'm spending some time
> getting acquainted with it.
>
> I wonder if I should stick with Thunderbird or go with the default
> Evolution application, since this seems to be better integrated into the
> desktop, namely the calendar function.
>
> On the other hand, it seems like you have to jump through burning loops
> to connect Evolution to OwnCloud.
>
> What are your experiences with these two clients and OwnCloud? Any
> suggestions?

I have zero experience with OwnCloud but Evolution was my default mail
client for years, I was an early adopter of it.

I only use IMAP for mail, so I do not need to sync anything as
everything is kept on the server.

I stopped using Evolution because it started having massive problems, it
became very frustrating how often my workflow was interrupted because
Evolution had some problem that it solved by rebuilding its own index of
all my mail folders. That would take a long time, especially on my
laptop, and it interrupted my ability to read and send mail.

Since switching to Thunderbird I have not experienced that kind of
problem once. It's always there and always usable.