[CentOS] RHEL 7.3 released

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Nov 4 15:53:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 10:05:39AM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> I'm with Matthew Phelps on this.  If CentOS is built with the exact same
> sources as RHEL, why not keep the numbering scheme the same?  That would
> make life easier for people like me who build CentOS RPMs from
> tarballs/SRPMS that run on RHEL and having to look up version numbers is
> just idiotic.  I mean, that's a Microsoft pet peeve of mine.

I don't have a horse in this particular race¹, but it is worth noting
that there has *always* been a difference between CentOS and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux here, as CentOS does not continue the ".y" streams
after a new one is out, but RHEL does. That is, you can't install
"CentOS 7.1", install current updates, and still have CentOS 7.1. With
RHEL, this is something you can buy:

https://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel/LIFECYCLE_EUS_Datasheet_22_DEC.pdf

This *is* an important distinction. I don't know if changing the
versioning is the best way to make it more clear, but I *do* think
making it more clear is betst for everyone.

1. although I do work for Red Hat, of the things I care about, this is not
  particularly high on the list

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>