[CentOS] RHEL 7.3 released

Phelps, Matthew mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 4 18:19:18 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > > 1.  Is CentOS-7.3 done yet?  Answer:  NO!
> > >
> > > And it is NOT CentOS-7.3 .. it is CentOS-7 (1611) based on RHEL-7.3
> > > Sources.  The main tree will be labeled '7.3.1611' on the mirrors
> (along
> > > side 7.0.1406 and 7.1.1503, and 7.2.1511, all of which are already
> there)
> > >

> > Obligatory objection to this version numbering scheme:
> >
> > Deviating from RHEL in such a basic way is crazy, dumb, stupid, annoying,
> > wrong, etc, etc.
> >
> > There, done.
> >

> Please, before a new flame, please read all what related with release
> numbering discussed on June 2014 thread of centos-devel mailing list:
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/thread.html
>
> with subject
> CentOS 7 and release numbering
>
> started here by Karanbir:
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/010444.html

I have read that thread, and the backlash against changing the version
numbering scheme is dominant there too. Including from one Johnny Hughes.

Keep in mind that all of this discussion happened on the development list
where very few of us who actually use CentOS are on.

There was *no* solicitation of feedback from the general CentOS user
community. I have checked.

How can we, the actual users of CentOS, petition the board to abandon this
scheme?

Look, I know this is years old, but because of the above conditions we've
had to simply endure a really bad decision and we keep being told "That's
the way it is. It's been decided. Just deal with it." Well, I'm sorry, but
I don't want to let this go.

Can't the CentOS board re-examine this issue?

It's not just cosmetic, all the reasons not to change the version from RHEL
have been covered in the above thread. They *still* apply.

I bet if a poll of actual CentOS sysadmins was taken, 80-90% would be
against this thing, still.

The horse is not dead,
-Matt

Thanks,
> Gianluca

Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility
Harvard - Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu, http://www.cfa.harvard.edu