[CentOS] Keyboard layout on remote, local, ... CentOS 6; strange behaviour

Walter H.

Walter.H at mathemainzel.info
Fri Nov 4 21:22:08 UTC 2016

Hello,

I did the following:

in /boot/grub/menu.lst I added/replaced   KEYTABLE=us-acentos

in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard I have this:
KEYTABLE="us-acentos"
MODEL="pc105"
LAYOUT="us"
KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"
VARIANT="intl"

my host system is Windows; and for connecting to Linux terminal I use PuTTY

in Windows I have configured German keyboard layout;

what would someone expect, when using PuTTY to connect to the above
configured CentOS 6

I thought that there I have the US intl layout; but its German;

when I switch the keyboard layout in Windows to US intl. and connect
to a CentOS 6, where the following is configured

in /boot/grub/menu.lst  KEYTABLE=de-latin1-nodeadkeys
and in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard  this:

KEYTABLE="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
MODEL="pc105"
LAYOUT="de"
KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"
VARIANT="nodeadkeys"

here I thought I have German keyboard layout, but it isn't; it's US

in short: why do I have the keyboard layout, which is configured at the
host running PuTTY and not which is configured in CentOS?

when I log into the Linux directly at the console, I do have the
configured keyboard layout;

Thanks,
Walter