[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 packages updates options without upgrading.

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 8 11:36:42 UTC 2016

Am 08.11.2016 um 07:14 schrieb Dipal Bhatt <dipal.bhatt at gmail.com>:
> Thanks very much, understood.  so, it seems, upgrading selected packages is
> probably going to be fine except where the compatibility matters where it
> would break all kinds of things.

Let me rephrase it, to be clear. Its NOT fine to update selected packages.
Especially a mixture of 6.3 and 6.8 packages is completely untested and
therefore considered as unstable.

Please communicate what is exactly pinning you on 6.3. CentOS is for example
not Fedora, where updates can break things. Its for the most cases absolutely
save to continue updating CentOS to the latest and the only supported version
inside the major release e.g. version 6.

Upstream's release notes will list changes that are important between the minor releases
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-enterprise-linux/?version=6/

> Something of such nature of request would
> need to be internally tested by simply updating the selected packages, test
> the applications previously running on 6.3 w/ these few selected 6.8
> packages updates.  It seems, the answer is to try and see whether works or
> breaks.  of course, currently, no way to update system properly to latest,
> hence further inquiries.  Really appreciated some helpful pointers. Thanks
> kindly.

Show us this "no way to update system properly" to get a clear big picture
that is allowing us to provide you with potentially better solutions.

--
LF