[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 packages updates options without upgrading.

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Tue Nov 8 14:42:21 UTC 2016

On 11/08/2016 06:27 AM, Dipal Bhatt wrote:

>> Show us this "no way to update system properly" to get a clear big picture
>> that is allowing us to provide you with potentially better solutions.
>>
> Thanks really Leon very much w/ a very resourceful info. esp release notes
> helps across minor versions.  So, this is for a friend of mine, and I have
> been told that they will not currently consider updating their userland
> from 6.3 to 6.8 but only selected few packages.  The picture seems to be
> that their company runs a lot of apps on 6.3 userland and might have some
> specific dependencies, etc., but more importantly, this environment has
> been running in customers' environment for quite some time esp 1000s of
> customers, so updating system properly is not easily feasible for this
> scenario.  However, they can hand pick packages seem fit for update that
> can be pushed out using their internal code fixes and updates for end
> users. SO, this seems to be the problem of trying to hand pick certain
> packages to be updated, if feasible w/o much adverse effects.

I think RHEL sells support packages for specific releases. Maybe they
could pay for a RHEL license for 6.3 and then rebuild the updates for
the CentOS 6.3 machines not covered in the RHEL support license.

If they have thousands of customers, paying for RHEL license for some of
them probably is not an un-reasonable thing to do.