[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 packages updates options without upgrading.

Always Learning centos at u68.u22.net
Tue Nov 8 15:33:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 08:27 -0600, Dipal Bhatt wrote:

> .....  So, this is for a friend of mine, and I have
> been told that they will not currently consider updating their userland
> from 6.3 to 6.8 but only selected few packages.  The picture seems to be
> that their company runs a lot of apps on 6.3 userland and might have some
> specific dependencies, etc., but more importantly, this environment has
> been running in customers' environment for quite some time esp 1000s of
> customers, so updating system properly is not easily feasible for this
> scenario.

If everyone is running STANDARD CENTOS there should be *no* problems
updating to the latest C 6.8 version.

(1) Save one complete installation.

(2) Install it on a spare machine.

(3) Change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 if necessary.

(4) Do a: yum update

(5) Test the applications

(6) Wait a few weeks and if still no problems, then upgrade the others.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.