[CentOS] How to start a script to complete configuration

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Tue Nov 8 16:37:33 UTC 2016

IIRC, there's a BootP module for Ansible.  I'm not at a place where I can
verify that though.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Bernard Fay <bernard.fay at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be hard to use ansible, cfengine or whatever while there no IP
> address on the new VM.....
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 10:47 AM, <cpolish at surewest.net> wrote:
>
> > On 2016-11-07 14:35, Bernard Fay wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have a virtual environment based on XenServer. In this environment I
> > > defined a template for CentOS 7 servers.
> > >
> > > I would like to start a script a boot time to complete the
> configuration
> > of
> > > new VMs based on this template. How can I have a script started before
> > any
> > > login prompt to ask question to the user to complete the configuration
> > such
> > > as hostname, IP address, etc?
> >
> > Hi Bernard,
> >
> > My first impulse was "don't!", and that's probably the best
> > advise.  A popular model is that the "firstboot" package takes
> > care of this at the first user login, and *nix systems sort of
> > depend on this "logged in users do stuff" model.
> >
> > Even better, use ansible, cfengine, chef, or puppet to automate
> > the task of setting things up. This is the _best_ solution and
> > you will eventually come back to it.
> >
> > But, the darker, cynical part of my brain, the part that says
> > "what, you're cutting down on coffee?" part, said "sure you
> > can". Here's how it _could_ be done.
> >
> > DON'T DO THIS. TURN BACK NOW.
> >
> >     Replace /sbin/init with a shell script that does what you want.
> >     It will be the first userland process started, have the console
> >     for I/O, and run as root. At completion, restore the original
> >     /sbin/init and reboot. Leave no traces behind. Do not document
> >     your awful hack, others will use your words against you.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > Chuck

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* *International Education*
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.viflearn.com
Find VIF on Facebook <http://facebook.com/VIFInternationalEducation> |