[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 packages updates options without upgrading.

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Nov 8 18:10:33 UTC 2016

On 11/8/2016 9:28 AM, Dipal Bhatt wrote:
> Unfortunately, that's the constraint it seems hence, there's inquiry of
> other options.  But, looks like, any el6 package should work as long as we
> meet the dependencies?

mixing current 6.8 packages with very old 6.3 packages and libraries is
a recipe for problems.      these  combinations are simply untested.
If you're willing to do such testing, go for it.   be sure to regression
test all the corner cases of the specific packages.     One thing that
would help significantly would be to uninstall all packages you don't
actually need for these systems.     I always start with 'minimal', and
install just the packages my application stack needs.  That is a
standard policy of security benchmarks such as CIS [1].

how could someone deploy 1000s of computer systems in the field without
a plan for regular security updates?!?    that would be somewhat
analogous to buying a fleet of airplanes without any plan or provisions
for scheduled maintenance.

[1]
https://benchmarks.cisecurity.org/downloads/show-single/?file=centos6.201