[CentOS] CentOS 7 + KDE - default keyboard layout?

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Thu Nov 10 07:30:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm currently fiddling with CentOS 7 and KDE 4.14, and I must say, I'm
pleasantly surprised. This is one of the cleanest implementations of KDE
I've ever seen, and with some tweaking (a lot, in fact) this can be
turned into a highly functional desktop with all the bling and bells and
whistles.

But right now, I have some minor problems to solve. First things first.
My system is installed in French, with a swiss french keyboard
(fr_CH-latin1) as default. This works OK in console mode, but when KDE
launches the first time, the default keyboard is US, and there's a
french (fr-latin1) alternative configured.

In my humble opinion, this looks like a minor bug, because the default
keyboard should be the same as the one defined in the installer. Now I
know this can be changed easily, but I'm planning to use this in a few
production environments like our local school. Which would mean I have
to log into every single account to switch the keyboard layout manually.

Now I wonder if this can't be done by the way of a profile in /etc/skel.
I've already created a custom user profile for my users, to be put in
/etc/skel. I have a little script that puts all these in the right place:

https://github.com/kikinovak/centos/tree/master/el7/kde

If I create a few custom keyboard layouts in KDE (say french, swiss
french and german), are these stored somewhere locally in ~/.kde/share?
I searched around a bit, but couldn't find the place.

Any suggestions?

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr