[CentOS] Trouble setting up HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer on CentOS 7 + KDE

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Fri Nov 11 11:37:01 UTC 2016

Le 11/11/2016 à 09:02, anax a écrit :
> Hi Niki
> don't you need a hplip addon/plugin, which you can fetch from
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html
>
> There, with the wizard, you get a file hplip-3.x.x.run
> which you download and run using
> bash hplip-3.x.x.run
>
> This will install the addon/plugin.

Thanks, I got it to work indeed. Though there's a special utility called
hp-plugin to do that.

I did some more reading and experimenting, and I have a few general
questions about HPLIP on CentOS.

1. Generally, I have two options. Either go with the 3.13.x HPLIP
packages provided by RHEL/CentOS, or download the more recent (currently
3.16) HPLIP package on the HP site. Which way do you choose to go?

2. If I choose to go with the HP package, should I blacklist the
"official" packages provided by the distribution?

3. On Slackware systems, a normal user must be a member of the 'lp' and
'scanner' groups to be able to use a printer/scanner. How's that in CentOS?

4. Is the proprietary HP plugin printer-specific or only specific to the
installed version of HPLIP?

5. Do I have to run hp-plugin *before* setting up my printer? Curiously
enough, I tried to setup my printer, but there was no automatic prompt
for the plugin download. Had to do it manually.

On a side note, I've always been favoring HP printers for my clients. On
Slackware systems (which I've been using until now) they're a breeze to
setup and work out of the box with HPLIP. Whenever I had some very
recent printers, I just built a package from the latest source, which
was trivial and also worked perfectly.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat