[CentOS] CentOS 7 + KDE - default keyboard layout?

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Mon Nov 14 13:33:38 UTC 2016

Le 14/11/2016 à 12:49, Patrick Hess a écrit :
> XFCE user here, so I'm not sure if KDE tries to enforce its own settings
> with
> regard to the keyboard layout, but have you tried (as root):
>
>     localectl set-x11-keymap <whatever name the Swiss-French layout
> might have> pc105 nodeadkey
>
> This changes the X11 keyboard settings permanently for all users on the
> system
> and works fine with (at least) XFCE.
>
> Patrick

Thanks for your response. (Native german speaker here also.)

I tried what you suggested:

# localectl set-x11-keymap fr_CH-latin1 pc105 nodeadkey

As is to be expected, this modifies /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf:

# Read and parsed by systemd-localed. It's probably wise not to edit
this file
# manually too freely.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "fr_CH-latin1"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkey"
EndSection

Unfortunately, to no avail. When I create a new user from here, KDE's
keyboard still defaults to US.

This looks like a CentOS bug to me: unable to define a non-US
system-wide keyboard when using KDE.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat