[CentOS] CentOS 7 + KDE - default keyboard layout?

Patrick Hess patrick_lists at phess.net
Mon Nov 14 16:33:09 UTC 2016

On 14.11.2016 14:33, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> # localectl set-x11-keymap fr_CH-latin1 pc105 nodeadkey
>
> As is to be expected, this modifies /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf:

Interesting, I didn't actually realize that myself before.

>         Option "XkbLayout" "fr_CH-latin1"

According to this link

     https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configuration_du_clavier_apr%C3%A8s_l%27installation

the XkbLayout should read "ch(fr)" instead of "fr_CH-latin1", as the
system console and X.org seem to use a different notation for selecting
the layout in this particular case:

    - Dans le terminal - Pour la Suisse romande:
      loadkeys fr_CH-latin1

    - Dans X11 / Xorg - Configurer le clavier de manière permanente:
      Option "XkbLayout" "ch(fr)"

Then, this should work as well:

     localectl set-x11-keymap 'ch(fr)' pc105 nodeadkey

> This looks like a CentOS bug to me: unable to define a non-US
> system-wide keyboard when using KDE.

That could be possible, of course. On FreeBSD, with the keyboard layout configured the old-fashioned way via /etc/X11/xorg.conf, KDE does respect
the system-wide settings. I would expect KDE to behave the same on CentOS.
However, I only had to deal with easy layouts like "de" and "us" so far;
Swiss-French might pose a bit more of a challenge. ;-)

Patrick

--
If you'd like to send me a private message, make sure to remove
the "_lists" part from my address.