[CentOS] Re: dumb question on permissions out of the box

Yamaban foerster at lisas.de
Tue Nov 15 21:08:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 21:49, m.roth at ... wrote:

> Can someone explain to me the logic that I, as a user, cannot, by default,
> mount a DVD from the command line, but I can mount it via dolphin?

Dolphin (and consorts) call "udisks" via messagebus / udev protocoll, and
thus get the permission / rights to do it without direct "root rights"

You can do that manually fron the commandline via the "udisksctl" tool.
See "man udisksctl" for details.

  - Yamaban.

PS: No, the question was not dumb, that udev stuff fools me up from
time to time to.