[CentOS] dumb question on permissions out of the box

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 15 21:19:35 UTC 2016

Yamaban wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 21:49, m.roth at ... wrote:
>>
>> Can someone explain to me the logic that I, as a user, cannot, by
>> default, mount a DVD from the command line, but I can mount it via
dolphin?

> Dolphin (and consorts) call "udisks" via messagebus / udev protocoll, and
> thus get the permission / rights to do it without direct "root rights"
>
> You can do that manually fron the commandline via the "udisksctl" tool.
> See "man udisksctl" for details.
>
> PS: No, the question was not dumb, that udev stuff fools me up from
> time to time to.

Right. And I've only been doing systems administration for, um, 21 years,
so I'm not surprised I never heard of udiskctl, and only know mount (and,
only recently, pmount).

Thanks, guy. It's just aggravating that I can't say mount /dev/dvd0
without jumping through hoops.

        mark "Ve Must Protect You From Using Command Line!"