[CentOS] long delay when logging in

Larry Martell

larry.martell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 23:07:12 UTC 2016

I have a CentOS 7 system and when I login with putty or ssh there is a
long delay before I get the password prompt. I ran ssh -v and I found
that it gets up to this:

debug1: ssh_ecdsa_verify: signature correct
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent

and then it sits there for 1-2 minutes and then this output blasts out:

debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-keyex
debug1: No valid Key exchange context
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
No Kerberos credentials available
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
No Kerberos credentials available
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
No Kerberos credentials available
debug1: Trying private key: /home/motor/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/motor/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/motor/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/motor/.ssh/id_ed25519
debug1: Next authentication method: password

And then the password prompt comes out. This happens no matter which
user is logging in. It only happens on the 1 system. I have 5 others
where the proceeds without the delay.

There are no disk or memory or any other errors in the logs.

What could be causing it to delay like this?