[CentOS] New laptop recomendation

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 23:30:41 UTC 2016

On 11/23/2016 02:55 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> I thought the mdraid software raid drivers supported the intel RST
> (formerly Matrix) fake raid ?

It does, but I believe this behavior is specific to Intel Skylake (and
presumably, later) hardware.  Matthew has a few details at the URL I
included earlier, as well as one of his previous blog entries.

The problem isn't that Linux doesn't recognize the RAID data, it's that
the controller switches to an unrecognized and undocumented PCI ID, for
which there are currently no Linux drivers.  Linux won't even see the
storage device, because it can't operate the controller that the storage
device is connected to (while it's in "RAID" mode).