[CentOS] FireFox and Plugins

Thu Nov 3 10:10:20 UTC 2016
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Alice Wonder wrote:
> While doing a browser fingerprinting survey, I was quite surprised to
> see I actually have a FireFox plugin installed.
>
> The culprit is
>
> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
>
> It appears that whoever maintains the rhythmbox RPM has chosen not to
> package the browser plugin separately like it probably should be. So if
> I have the rhythmbox RPM installed, I have the plugin.
>
> This is rather worrisome because I can find no trace of the plugin in
> the Mozilla preferences panel, so if it is there it is very well hidden
> and if it really isn't there, it can't be disabled there.
>
> Is there some kind of blacklist file I can put in
> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ or ~/.mozilla/plugins/ to specifically tell
> FireFox not to load that plugin, or do I have to uninstall rhythmbox?
>
> Thank you for suggestions.

It shows up when I run Firefox - in both about:plugins and about:addons
-> Plugins

If you use a central Mozilla autoconfig file setup - see, for example:

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Enterprise_deployment#Configuration>

then you can use the following line to disable this plug-in:

  lockPref("plugin.state.librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin", 0);

(and similar lines to disable any other plug-in)

James Pearson